Morag Mathieson, DTM
ILC NOMINATED CANDIDATE FOR
SECOND VICE PRESIDENT
Envisioning a future where Toastmasters International is
ready, relevant and viable
in a changing world.
“Morag’s global experience and leadership served members well when the board was developing policies to address the needs of an international audience.”
Mary Morrison, DTM
International Director, 2017-19
“If we are to continue to improve, we need people on the Executive committee with change experience to create a vision and strategically plan to achieve that vision, all while working as part of a team. Morag has the vision, experience, and leadership we need on our Executive Committee.”
Robert Cockburn, DTM
Past Region 12 Advisor
International Director, 2002-04
“Morag is a ‘big picture’ leader with strong ethics and high integrity who understands the pulse of our organization. She’s well informed, data driven yet someone who speaks the ‘we’ language when it comes to dealing with her teams. She brings a host of skills to the table. Someone with an overall perspective who can direct the course and take the team along with. A great choice to take the organization forward.”
Uma Radhakrishnan, DTM
Past Region 11 Advisor
“Morag is a global leader and exceptional ambassador. She communicates with words and actions that are universal and genuinely touch every Toastmaster heart, forever radiating authenticity. When you know Morag or get to know her you know what I mean. Core values Integrity, Respect, Service, and Excellence are on display 24/7 whenever, whatever, and however she serves. Morag greatly deserves to serve Toastmasters International as 2nd Vice President and will be the best fit to start creating our future, together.”
Kees Broos, DTM
Past Region 14 Advisor
“The first time I spoke with Morag, what struck me was her ability to listen, relate to my concerns and offer practical solutions to my challenges. As I got to work with her more as District Director, what I also noticed was her deep strategic mind and willingness to lead from the front whenever the need arises. With her great combination of soft and hard skills she will make a fantastic 2nd Vice President for Toastmasters and be willing to think of new ways in which the organisation can flourish in the 21st century.”
Florian Bay, DTM
Immediate Past District Director, District 91
“Of all the candidates that I have met, Morag is by far the most knowledgeable on the policies and procedures for Toastmasters International. I was so impressed with how she presented the updates from her team last year during the annual convention. She was professional and communicated the details with grace and great clarity. Governance is a critical part of what the board does; the changes that were done made sense to move our organization forward. With Morag at our helm, I know it will be done right.
I really think this is a critical skillset that we will need in our future 2nd VP. They must understand the governance documents. It is not a sexy task but critical for the organization to get the details right for our future.”
Louisa Davis, DTM
Immediate Past District Director, District 96
“I love it when someone is in touch. When Morag addressed our District during her Region Advisor visit it was a breath of fresh air. It was as if she was from our District offering practical solutions to our challenges. Her understanding of our policies is amazing! She was disarming as she eloquently [more…]“
Past District Director, District 74
“Morag has proven to possess the passion, knowledge and vision that we need in a leader to help guide Toastmasters into the future.”
Luanne Kent, DTM
Past District Governor, District 71
“Morag Mathieson epitomizes what Toastmasters is all about. She is a wonderful example of what Toastmasters can become, with her excellence, energy and integrity, she is a caring mentor to many, and a true leader to all. Her multi-national experience makes her an ideal candidate for the office of 2nd VP and beyond.”
Ross Mackay, DTM
Past International Director
“Morag is an ideal candidate for Second Vice President, Toastmasters International. Morag leads with enthusiasm, passion and wisdom – she seems to thrive on challenges and works endlessly to help others achieve their goals. Her leadership and training skills inspire and motivate. Her knowledge of the organization and her many years of international exposure in and outside Toastmasters qualify her to lead the organization with dignity in times like these!”
Past Region 11 Advisor
International Director, 2004-06
“Morag is exceptional in being able to listen to District leaders and work with them to help them achieve their goals and make their District more successful than it was before. When Morag served as Region Advisor for eight districts in Region 11 (Europe and Africa), six districts achieved President’s Distinguished status and one achieved Select Distinguished status. A fine example of helping others develop leadership. This is the kind of vision, experience and leadership we need on the Executive Committee.”
Robert Cockburn, DTM
Past Region 12 Advisor
International Director, 2002-04
“Morag and I were in the same class of 2014-2015 Region Advisors and 2012-2013 District Governors. During these years, I met her at District Trio training in different places. Every time I was impressed with her integrity, comprehensive view to analyze things and effective leadership to lead others. Being a Region Advisor, Morag analyzed its role and responsibilities to make them more beneficial to our organization in the years to come so that successors enjoy working the role. Morag with global perspectives deserves our 2nd VP and beyond!”
Kazuko Kawauchi, DTM
Past Region 13 Advisor
“I got to know Morag Mathieson when I attended my very first TI convention in Vancouver, Canada. She had been elected International Director for Region 11. She appeared very warm and friendly with a sunny disposition. Never saw her without a smile. This drew me to her instantly.
Later, I learnt that she was also an enthusiastic professional with a history of working in the healthcare sector. She has gained tremendous experience in the education industry too. Her passion towards [more…]“
Jennifer Ghosh, DTM
Immediate Past District Director, District 41
“I have known Morag Mathieson since the day she walked into her very first Toastmaster club. I have only known her to be authentically inspirational through consistency, always meeting immediate objectives while setting future goals. She lives and breathes the Toastmasters International pledge she took when she joined our club back in 2006. In my opinion, the world needs more credible leaders that bring life and spark joy in the hearts of humanity. Morag is the refreshing leader the people of the world, and Toastmasters International, needs now.”
Area Director, District 39
- 2017 – 2019
- Working together with fellow Board Members, I shared my experience of strategic planning and serving a diverse community to help shape the future of our organization.
- I participated in reviewing, amending and creating policy. Additionally, I served on a committee to review our Governing Documents and propose changes to the Bylaws of Toastmasters International and Club Constitution that were adopted by our members at the Annual Business Meeting in 2019.
- On visits to Districts in Regions 10 and 11, I listened to our members’ feedback and concerns and found moments to encourage and inspire people to seize the opportunity Toastmasters affords.
Training & Development Advisory Committee
- By drawing on my professional knowledge and Toastmasters experience as a district leader and Region Advisor, I provided input to enhance training programs for district leaders.
Chair, Credentials and Elections for District 20
- Appointed by the International President to serve and support District 20 during their elections, I used my knowledge of Policy and Protocol and credentials experience to facilitate a smooth, ethical and effective process. I aimed to make the process clear while ensuring clubs were able to use their voting rights and, at the same time, developing others locally to run the credentials process in the future.
Chair, Joint Reformation Committee of Districts 59 & 95
- 2015 – 2016
- I was invited to chair this pan European committee tasked with preparing a strategic proposal for the restructure of Toastmasters in Continental Europe. I served here by leading the team as we developed vision, carried out detailed analysis, identified strategies for the proposal and supported the management of change across both districts. This proposal, of unprecedented complexity, which created 6 districts from 2 (Districts 59 & 95), was successfully implemented in 2018.
Region Advisor, Region 11
- 2014 – 2015
- As a mentor, leadership guide and strategy and marketing advisor, I coached district leaders in over 50 countries from North Pole to South Pole to fulfill the district mission. Six of the eight districts achieved President’s Distinguished status and one achieved Select Distinguished.
- At District Leader training sessions I was honored to work with others to support the learning and development of district leaders from all regions around the world. In return, I learned too as I expanded my cultural horizons and my understanding of our organization and its diversity.
Chief Ambassador Revitalized Education Program (Pathways) D59
- 2013 – 2014
- I committed to build a team that would keep every club in the district up to date with the latest news of the redevelopment of our education program. Ambassadors were found in every division and together we held open sessions and presentations at conferences, training events and in individual clubs.
Lieutenant Governor Education and Training (now PQD)
- 2011 – 2012
- The district was growing and it became necessary to hold semi-finals for some speech contests. As LGET, I implemented this at the same time as being responsible for contests in multiple languages. At district conferences I organized 8 speech contests. This gave more opportunity for a greater number of members to compete or hone their skills as contest officials.
- During the term we led our district into its first reformation. I was able to serve by communicating with members and increasing understanding during visits. This helped members be well informed before voting.
- I brought home the honor of the Excellence in Education & Training Award for training over 85% of the area and division directors and achieving the education goals in the Distinguished District Program. This was a great recognition for the team.
Division Governor (now Division Director)
- 2010 – 2011
- I led a team supporting 3 Areas spread across 4 countries (Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Northern Bavaria in Germany). During the term I supported the team to build strong healthy clubs and to establish additional clubs. This enabled us to deliver the district mission as well as fulfilling our vision for the division. As a result we were able to restructure the division, make areas more manageable for Area Directors and bring area and division events closer to our members,
District Secretary (now District Administration Manager)
- 2009 – 2010
- I supported the District Director and the team with all administrative aspects of District Council and District Executive Committee Meetings including scheduling, communications, minutes and credentials. One of my favorite tasks was operating the credentials desk where I got to meet members from all our clubs and help them to get ready to participate in District Council Meetings.
- 2007 – present
- Over the years I’ve served various times as President, VP of Education and Secretary at Erlangen Toastmasters, Fränkly Speaking Advanced Club, and Rhetorik Club Heilbronn. I am currently serving as Club Secretary to my home club Erlangen Toastmasters in the 2019/2020 Toastmasters year.
District 59 Governor (now District Director)
President’s Distinguished, #1 District in the World
- 2012 – 2013
- It was an honor and at the same time humbling to lead a world-class team who brought District 59 to the distinction of #1 district in the world. My service built on the legacy of my pioneering predecessors and worked to create a strong future for our successors. Growth in the district brought many more opportunities for us to empower individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders.
- The district was also recognized with the following awards during my term as District Governor:
- Presidents 20 Plus Award for districts with the highest percentage of clubs with 20 or more members. District 59 was #1 in the world.
- Presidents Extension Award for districts with highest net club growth. District 59 was #3 in the world.
- Excellence in Leadership Award for districts being distinguished for 3 or more consecutive years.
I love it when someone is in touch. When Morag addressed our District during her Region Advisor visit it was a breath of fresh air. It was as if she was from our District offering practical solutions to our challenges. Her understanding of our policies is amazing! She was disarming as she eloquently gave context to some of our global policy that did not make sense to the audience.
I thought there was something special about our District but when she became International Director and I was District Director, I was blown away by how Morag is so in touch with the world of Toastmasters beyond her home in Europe. I understood why they call her Mama Toastmasters as she effortlessly addressed my peers’ questions and challenges from all around the world. If you were at the town-hall meeting in Denver, I am sure you would have experienced Morag’s brilliance in action.
Past District 74 Director (Southern Africa)
Jennifer Ghosh, DTM
I got to know Morag Mathieson when I attended my very first TI convention in Vancouver, Canada. She had been elected International Director for Region 11. She appeared very warm and friendly with a sunny disposition. Never saw her without a smile. This drew me to her instantly.
Later, I learnt that she was also an enthusiastic professional with a history of working in the healthcare sector. She has gained tremendous experience in the education industry too.
Her passion towards the not-for-profit Toastmasters International community goes above all her past experiences and laurels, in my opinion.
She is an empathetic leader and a great motivator. Her purpose is very evident by the way she reaches out to help the community at large, by being there for them.
Morag is a wonderful human being. I am sure she will make for an able 2nd Vice President on the Board of Toastmasters International and will add value through her specialisation and vast experience.
I wish her all the very best for the upcoming elections.
Keep soaring Morag !
My best wishes for the next level.
Jennifer Ghosh, DTM
Immediate Past District 41 Director